top of page

Granite Stone

The granite in the original portion of the library was obtained from the quarry operated by the Bennett family. The family opened the quarry about 1870 to facilitate the construction of the railroad which nearly runs through the quarry located just off Bennett Road. When railroad construction ceased, the Bennetts sold their granite for curbing stones, cemetery walls and foundations. The library construction was probably near the end of the quarry's productive life, although the veteran’s memorial stone on the village green came from the old quarry. Boston and Maine Railroad bought rights to quarry granite when the Bennetts were finished but it is unknown whether meaningful production resumed.


Recent Posts

See All
Emery "Stan" Littlefield

Emery “Stan” Littlefield was a native of Alfred and a long term PML trustee. He was an engineer and surveyor and lived in the Conant House in the village. His wife Betty ran Conant House Realty for ma

 
 
 
Benjamin P. Snow

Benjamin P. Snow was a graduate of Bowdoin [1855] and Bangor Theological Seminary. He served as clergyman at Alfred parish Church 1875 to 1881. An educator as much as a clergyman, Snow began the Alfre

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page